My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Are You Christmas or Are You Hanukkah?

That's the question a friend of ours used to ask the other kids at school when she was a kid. She would then proudly say, “I’m both!” Well, we’re both in this house and I am starting to think it is a pain the ass. I used to think it was very convenient that we didn’t have to negotiate where to spend the holidays like some other friends(more true when we lived in the same area as our families). Christmas and Easter with my family. Hanukkah and Passover with the husband’s. Easy peasy.

This year we are staying here and our families are coming to us. First of all, you might wonder why the husband’s family needs to visit when we spent Thanksgiving at their house. You weren’t wondering that? Oh.I was. Well, since you may have been wondering, they say they HAD to come for a friend’s 60th birthday. I know that Hanukkah would not usually merit a plane trip. I KNOW it. Passover is a much bigger deal to them. Christmas is my Passover. Hanukkah is their Easter. Get it? If you don’t, I can’t explain.

Last night we had a huge Hanukkah celebration--lit candles, said a prayer, the whole bit. On Christmas Eve, we are having the whole world to our house, my mom, my brother and the in-laws, plus some friends, their parents, etc.

Before (like in my twenties) double the holidays meant extra parties. But now that I am a full-fledged grown up with an actual child to prove it, I realize that I am in charge of parties and double the holidays just means double the work. Bah Humbug.

Did I mention I have a cold? I have a cold. I'm also a very bad patient.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I totally feel for you! You should have your guests do all the work, and you get hang out with Q, or sleep off your cold. (right!) We'll be doing the Xmas marathon from my parents' one day, to his family's the next, back to my parents', then home to drop from exhaustion. But at least I don't have to clean!!! Happy Holidays!!!

8:44 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Ugh! I totally understand! It is Dec 29th and we JUST finished doing our holiday gatherings last night. Nothing like opening Hannukah presents a week after Hannukah ended! LOL

Oh, and I took down the Xmas tree today (my first time--Xmas tree virgin that I am). It is sooo much easier to just pack away a menorah!

I'm not sure about this whole double holiday thing, either. I hope you're feeling better!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow you have my sympathies. christmas alone is enough for this mommy!

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi - i am new to your blog and i haven't caught up to the present post yet. i am am still reading your posts from may 06. i also lost twin girls at 19 wks this past summer. doctors don't know exactly why it happened. i had unexplained PTL. my cervix was fine at an ultrasound 4 days before my loss. and i am pregnant again with a single pregnancy. and my high risk OB is recommending a preventative cerclage next week, when i will be 12 1/2 weeks along. i was told that the procedure will be no big deal, and likely need to rest for a couple days after. i am wondering why you were put on strict bedrest right after? wondering if this just a more conservative approach, or if i will be told as well to go on strict bedrest. i was relieved when i found out it was a single pregnancy, bec. i thought the loss was due in large part to the 'twin thing'. and i was surprised when the OB said to do the cerclage this time. somehow i duped myself into thinking i could have a normal pregnancy this time around. and now i am wondering what else can go wrong?

- HSK

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in October I read segments of your blog (laughing out loud I might add)following my cerclage placement. I was on a personal quest to find the NITTY GRITTY TRUTH about cerclages! I am now 27 weeks and moving right along...I have been out of work the last 11 weeks. A few weeks ago I was talking with G.S from Vermont and she said "you gotta check out my friend's blog..." as she described it I said "I already did!" It is such a small world!!!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how was Christmas and Hanukkah and New Year.....???

did you survive?

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home