My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Friday, June 22, 2007

Nap Strike

The bottle issue resolved, and now I am so freaked out about it happening again I am considering weaning. Sounds like extreme measures, I know. You see, the whole bottle thing happened because I thought I was drying up after a particularly busy week at work where I only pumped once a day for 3 days. After that, there was the sickness and the feeding round the clock, plus extra pumping at night to boost the production. This glorious time peaked with the bottle strike. That finally ended (thanks to the husband getting up at the crack of dawn and offering the bottle when baby is most hungry).

Fast forward to my current situation. Again, I’ve hardly pumped at work this week, and I refuse to go through what we went through before. I had the nanny feed half breast milk and half formula. The kid had formula! And he likes it just fine. I did not pump at night to makeup for the extra lack of milk my one pump a day brings home. A relief. He is also so much wigglier so breastfeeding is becoming a huge pain anyway. Still, I have that little voice telling me I was going to exclusively breastfeed for the first year. It's not like I can't do it.... it’s like maybe I won’t do it? The breastfeeding crazies will hopefully avoid throwing bottles at me as I walk down the street and say how I am a failure as a mother. And all this angst while I am STILL breastfeeding! I am just adding formula now, too. It’s only two months till 1 years old!! I am crazy.

Speaking of crazies, I was forced to read Weissbluth again because baby stopped napping in the name of development. He pulls up to stand in the crib now. And the naps, oh lord the lovely naps. They went flying out the window. He is happy lying down when mommy is standing above him cooing, but when tired mommy starts to leave, he rolls over and sits up before said tired mommy has even left the room. It's pretty cute, actually. I have come back a few times to have baby standing up with his tomato red face screaming. His chubby little baby legs look so totally edible. I don't like to see him suffer, but it is really cute. It is.

Weissbluth is a certifiable sleep Nazi. After reading a chapter, I feel sure to win worst mommy of the year for going into soothe him because of my guilt. Weissbluth wants to know, is it to make baby feel better or is it to make mommy feel better??? He says let him cry, let him cry let him cry, for god sake woman, let him cry. Baby needs to learn to sooth himself! (I do confess to some CIO scenarios earlier in little Q's life, and I didn’t blog about it for fear of the mean comments--it did work and it was short lived.)

I didn't like what Weissbluth had to say so I picked up trusty Dr.Sears. If anyone will disagree with mean old Weissbluth its warm fuzzy Dr. Sears. It is true he disagrees, but he also makes one feel a wee bit inadequate for total opposite reasons. Baby needs to know that his needs are being met. He says, do not do any CIO! It's bad for babies. Instead, take a nap with baby in the family bed! He'll get the message that it is sleep time eventually.

Uh. No, thank you. I do not want the only way he naps to be when I am there. No! So....I let him cry for 1 horrible hour today ala Weissbluth (please no mean comments! Please!) I finally went in, rushed in, really. Baby smiled at me and said, the way he says it, "let's play!" I grabbed him. We went for a walk where baby promptly fell asleep in the stroller for an hour and a half. Weissbluth would NOT approve. Now I have made my son suffer an hour of unneeded crying, only to fold with the stroller nap so he knows for sure there is no reason to sleep in the crib.

I am so tired.

6 Comments:

Blogger May said...

Hey, don't beat yourself up. All you can do is your best. Weissbluth worked well for us, but every family is diffferent. You'll sort it out. Here's hoping you all get some good rest soon.

And my daughter got formula without any breastmilk from 9-12 months and no one ever threw a bottle at us. I was game for nursing through her birthday but she was not. SHE weaned ME. Whaddyaknow...

12:27 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Why is it that no matter what we do, there is always something to feel nervous, guilty or worried about? Let me just say you are doing a terrific job, and don't let anyone, breast crazies, or sleep crazies make you feel otherwise. The fact that you are still nursing is amazing, way to go! And the sleeping will get worked out I'm sure.

1:41 PM  
Blogger gaygilmore said...

I'm sick of it after 2 months of BFing so I worship you. ;)

I haven't read the CIO books yet though I always thought I would be one of those moms (tough love, etc.) until I had a kid and got the Sears book without knowing it was a "philosophy" and I love it. So with that background, I was also giving Pantley's "The No Cry Sleep Solution" and it makes sense to me, might be work trying? She's a Sears-ie but not over the top, so grain of salt, but I like the approach -- of course, I'm a right-brainer at heart, so writing things down = control to me. Also, as I said, I'm only at 2 months and a generally worried co-sleeper and will be for months to come. ;)

...after weeks of useless paci-paranoia, I've decided not to get wrapped up in anything too hard. Trust yourself; 2 weeks from today whatever today's concern was will be forgotten. ;)

much love kiddo

g

12:40 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

I'm one of those nap-with-my-baby freaks (I willingly accept the title) and I can't say I love it. I long for mama-free naps, but alas, our child won't have it and I fear the sleep-nazi. After 6 months of colic, I heard enough of Ethan's wailing to last me a lifetime.

BUT, no mean comments from me; you have to do what works for you. it is frustrating that no matter what, there is another voice telling you that you're not doing it *right*.

Sigh...

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, How are you?
I came across your page and would love to ask you a few questions. I lost my twin boys at 6 months and now 5 years later I am pregnant again. I not even a month into my pregnancy, and my GYN says a cerclage is the best option for me. It was unsettling to hear this and I have mixed feelings about this. I understand that you had one and I would like to know how your experience was. I want to carry my pregnancy through and I pray about it everyday. It worries me at times. If you have one done once, the likelihood is that you would have to get it done again, for future pregnancies, right? Also, was there any discomfort and how far along were you when this took place? My OB told me that I would probably have to be on bed rest during the later part of my 2nd trimester and I can understand why. The term, "incompetent cervix" is disheaertening if you ask me. Perhaps another term would be best. This made me feel so inadequate and insecure. At least say that I just need a little support for the baby, but don't tell me my cervix is incompetent! In any event, I do look forward to hearing from you and I saw your baby! GORGEOUS! A success!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No mean comments! You are a great Mom doing everything the best way you can with thought and purpose. Quinn is a lucky little guy!

I haven't commented for almost a year but I have been following your blog. I had four months of cerclage and bed rest fun with my second pregnancy. Almost a year later my house is filled with 4 year old Justin and Eva will be 1 next month.

It is amazing how much we second guess our every move. In the end you can only do the best you know how.

Kathy

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home