My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Sunday, April 12, 2009

NY State of Mind

That last post never got finished, because, in spite of the disturbing nature of the few sentences I wrote, I did actually have to stop what I was writing to go parent.

We are in NY for Passover and Easter. We leave tomorrow. I love being here and seeing family. I love the city--it is so vibrant and fun to be in again. I love Connecticut, where we had Easter today with its big houses and windy roads. I love seeing cousins and siblings and nieces and nephews. I always start out our East coast trips totally energized and nostalgic, wondering why we live so far away. But inevitably I move towards being glad we don't live here all the time. The city is hard and Connecticut is snobby.

The husband and I had a lot of help with the kids this trip. We stole away for a walk to the scene of our wedding 5 years ago in Central Park. It was so beautiful out, and a couple was actually getting married in the same spot in the same garden we were married in! We totally told them afterwards. They seemed like they didn’t mind. One night we went out to dinner with friends, and the energy of a NY restaurant--small, crowded, intimate and exciting—I actually felt like I was in my 20’s again.

But I have turned into a California girl. This time the main thing that bugged me was all of our inside time. It seems like people have trouble getting themselves outside here. It’s as if all the barriers to get outside--the apartment door, the hallway, the elevator, the building hallway and finally! Outside. It is too many or something. Sometimes I even felt myself thinking I'd like to get outside and dismissed the idea in the same thought because it seemed like a hassle.

So. Once again, I find myself looking forward to getting the kids home to our little house and our big dog where I can open the door to my back deck and breathe the not too cold air.

Happy Easter and Passover! I feel so fat.

One funny totally unrelated story:

The husband returned home from work the other day wearing a suit, which he rarely does. As he took off his work duds and flung them around the room, Q played and chatted with us. A while later, Q said he wanted “Barack Obama’s scarf.” I was curious, since I had no idea what he was talking about. He then ran to the dresser where the husband had left his blue and white tie and threw it around his neck chanting “Barack Obama’s scarf!!”

Is Brack Obama the only one he's seen in a suit??

4 Comments:

Blogger Monica H said...

Glad you had a nice Easter. It sounded lovely.

And that Q is so funny!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That's one of the best kid/Obama stories yet.

Hooray for California, though I really know what you mean about NYC. Isn't funny how we evolve?

Happy Passover and Easter, too.

Maybe we can get the kids to the park sometime soon and catch up. We have much trashy lit to discuss as I'm on book 3 . . .

8:41 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

I grew up in the south before transplanting to PA, and the idea that spring still isn't here yet (and it's mid-April!) is still foreign- even after 11 years! Of course, I always bitched and moaned that the south was too hot in the summers, so I'll take our late spring over the oppressive heat anyday.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Andrea and Chris said...

I hope you don't mind me using your blog as a Q&A! I have posted a couple of comments before and you are the only other person I "know" that has had a cerclage.

I had mine put in today at 11:30 (this is my 2nd one, I had one for my daughter 2 years ago) and I am still in unbearable pain at 11:30 at night...and this is while being pumped with pain killers. Was your second harder than your first? I would appreciate your input, but totally understand if you don't answer. My e-mail is Pizzurro1208@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home