My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Reading Shmeading

I am a reader. I read fiction. Good fiction! In high school I read all the classics for fun. I was an English major in college. I read every night to go to sleep and have my entire life since I can remember being old enough to hold a book. I read books people consider "literature". I have high standards. I debate about current fiction and how low the quality is these days. I admit that I sometimes foray into things that are a little more...trashy. I have been known to read the chic lit book here and there and maybe even a harlequin romance if the airplane ride is more than 2 hours. I admit this with deep shame. But, you know. When the situation fits….

Does the situation fit? I can’t read a well-written literature type book to save my life right now. I have spoken to a few of my brethren who have suffered this bedrest situation, and they admit a similar inability to concentrate on anything that takes any real mental ability. For me, the better the book, the better written or complex with interesting characters and good story telling, the less I can deal. So I have read a few of my trashier books, and they sort of hit the spot. But how do I get to the trashy novel? I am too ashamed to tell people to go buy me something with an illustration of a bodice being ripped on the cover, and people who know me keep bringing "good" books to read. So I finally decided to risk my Amazon profile with a few unsavory bits of fiction. Still, I dread signing back on to amazone.com and finding other suggestions of books based on previous purchases. Danielle Steel will probably come up right under my name. The shame! I have a reputation to uphold! But what can I say? I cannot wait for my books to arrive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny, I was an English major too. We lost one boy at 18 weeks and one year later we lost another baby boy at 19 weeks. This was in 2003, now 7 years later, we are pregnant again. I needed a mental break to recover. The second time we had a perinatologist and all. I had a cerclage but my water broke early. This time I will have my 2nd cerclage at the end of may and I'm starting to get nervous. I went online to find success stories and found your blog. It's really nice to read about your trials because no one understands the way someone who has walked the same shoes. Thank you for sharing.
HJ
Lansing NY

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home