My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Friday, April 28, 2006

Other Material I Shouldn't Read

I was basking on the back porch reading this week's New Yorker--don’t you love how I throw out this highbrow publication as if I am reading this stuff all the time? I manage to forget to mention the cheesy mystery with large gold letters and red cover that I really can't put down. But that's not the point. The point is, I was reading The New Yorker!

In this week’s New Yorker, I was grabbed by a title in the Personal History section which included a birth and death date 4 days apart. Looking closer, I saw that the death date preceded the birth date. Oh, no. My stomach physically sort of tightened, but of course, I read. This is a story by Daniel Raeburn (a writer who I've never heard of) about the stillbirth of his daughter. It was heartbreaking and achingly familiar, and yet, it didn't reach me totally. But maybe that is because I am not trying to read about baby tragedy right now.

In the past this is the kind of thing I would eat up. I mean that in a good way--in the past it would inspire me to feel less alone, that there are others like me struggling with the same thing. But now, pregnant again, I ended up feeling more afraid than anything else. His wife was 8 months pregnant when their daughter died in utero for apparently no reason. In reading that, the creeping sensation of fear that we are never out of the woods for this pregnancy became a bit overwhelming. And yet, getting to 36 weeks is a time I tell myself that we should, theoretically, be home free.

Maybe I should not have read it, but my heart breaks for this author and his wife, and maybe because he needed to write it, I am glad I read it. That said, in general, I think it's a good rule that during my high-risk pregnancy after a loss like we experienced, reading about losses is not so good for my general Zen (don’t laugh, can't you tell I am Zen?) pregnancy state.

3 Comments:

Blogger Becci said...

yeah I read about that article somewhere else today. so senseless that things like that happen....

3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your daughters.

I run a website that lists pregnant bloggers. I have added your blog to the due date listings. If you would like for me to remove the link to your blog or if I need to correct any information, please do let me know. The site URL is http://babyblogorama.net and my e-mail address is my3monkeys at gmail dot com.

Thank you, and good luck getting through the month of May with sanity intact.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm just hearing about the Daniel Raeburn article....
I'm a survivor of pregnancy after loss, having lost Solomon at 19 weeks 6 days. Born still. "Incompetent cervix." Second pregnancy lost to blighted ovum, sigh. After cerclage, house arrest and paranoia hell had my daughter Alison. Repeated the process with a touch of preterm labor thrown in and had my son Adam 19 months later.

I was so insane during the 'spals' pregnancies so I journalled. Eventually I published a book. This was in March 2006. I hope you'll check out the website www.pregnancyjourneysafterloss.com and the book Journeys: Stories of Pregnancy After Loss. Eleven authors, eleven different loss stories and more important, what we went through in the NEXT pregnancy!

With Warm Regards,
Amy
"The birth of a child isn't always a nine-month process."

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home