My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Bedrest Side Effects

Let's talk about grooming.

My hair, usually a blondish color, has made its way into the realm of brown. My hair was blond as a kid, and in high school (okay, junior high) it started to go dark. It has had various kinds of "help" ever since to remain blond. These days, my dark blond hair or ash blond hair, maybe dirty blond hair…ok MOUSY BROWN hair has taken over the top of my head. This different hair color would not be so bad if it weren’t fighting with the bottom half of my untrimmed, split ended, rats nested straw. It's pretty ugly. Only the waviness of it helps offset the contrast.

My eyebrows in all their glory are a site to behold. I remember a friend practically shrieking with relief when I finally got wind that not everyone's eyebrows rested so prominently on their face and took myself to the salon for my first waxing. I need professional help for this. I am not great with the tweezers, and I find an eyebrow wax every month really does the trick. I am in dire need of such wax, and if I am being honest, my upper lip needs some attention too. I won't even mention the other area on my body where hair is growing with abandon. Let's just say that since I can't see it anymore, I am having an out of sight out of mind approach to its presence.

Pedicures are events of the distant past. Closed toe shoes are my friends for the few times I am out (to the doctor) and socks and slippers are firmly in place for any other possible viewers at home. Fingernails are okay since I have access to a nail file.

These small things are just little side effects of 6 months on bedrest, but think about it. How many times in a 6 month period, do you take care of all of these grooming rituals? Let me tell you, it is more than you think! And when I'm done with bedrest? I am theoretically going to have a baby. I am sure I will be doing countless pedicures then. Is this how people start to look like moms? You know, not the “yummy mommy” but the one who ends up in “mom jeans?” Do you just stop caring once you’ve let the dorkiness seep in? I really think this is a dangerous road because I care about the loss of this stuff, but I sort of also feel like, oh well. Those things are sort of a pain anyway, right?

I am deciding here and now to nip this in the bud. I promise myself when the loved but hated Peri gives me an inch with the bedrest chains that I will take more than a mile and get waxed, plucked, highlighted and polished!

3 Comments:

Blogger Becci said...

I just do the plucking thing on my eyebrows, although it is a lot harder when you're on the couch with a mirror and don't have a light shining on those pesky hairs! I agree, I can't wait to get the full works done. I had highlights and a cut a couple weeks before my cerclage, but am in desperate need again!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Becci said...

How was your ultrasound on Monday? Are you still at home? Still doing the tingly feet position? I've been thinking of you!

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I understand the lack of grooming. I was only allowed up once a week for a five minute shower. It was frustrating to have to decide what I was going to get done in that five minutes. Should I shave, wash my hair, use conditioner? I understand our pain! Hang in there.

(found you via miraclebaby)

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home