My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Mayday! Mayday!

I woke up yesterday morning feeling good, calling to my husband "Honey! It is May 1st! One more month till 28 weeks, June 1st and we'll be all good!" I felt great that we were through April, a new month is starting, but a tough month is over and all is well. I wasn't even terribly worried about cervix check yesterday. Hmmmm....

The cervix, while still long, had a "dimple". Doesn't that sound sort of cute? It is not cute at all. I am funneling a little bit at the top of my cervix. Normally, at this stage, I wouldn't be horribly worried because of the nice stitch we have to make sure everything stays in place. Oh, right! There is a distinct possibility that the stitch won't hold since it is so low in the much loved cervix. Remember those earlier posts about the bad stitches?

In speaking to my doctor yesterday, she informed me she would like me to come in for another ultrasound this week, Thursday, when I hit 24 weeks. In the meantime, she would like the couch tilted up (feet raised, hips raised, head down), and oh yeah, no more sitting up till then, "pillows are fine and you can sleep flat for now." Don't you hate it when someone gives you what they think is a privilege and that you assumed in the worst bedrest situation would never be taken away? I am allowed to put a pillow under my head? Gee, thanks.

The doctor, who only has my best interest in mind, has also suggested that if things don't look good on Thursday and the funneling is significant, there is a chance I will be hospitalized. She told me to “be prepared in case”. I have no idea what “prepared” means, but I am taking it to mean “bring your softest t-shirt and comfy yoga pants”. At the end this disturbing conversation, she chirpily managed to throw in a "I am still very optimistic." As if that is what I heard in all she said. Actually, I guess it must have meant something since it is showing up in my post.

So, here I am feet up, really, really trying to keep up the positive thoughts when what I am feeling, with all my negative energy, is that May SUCKS!

4 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

ugh!!!! Why do they do this to us with the feet up and lying flat and hospitalization??!! I feel your pain! I spent weeks 25-27 in Hotel High Risk (hospital).

I'm funnelled to the stitch and my cerclage is probably as low as yours (wanna compare ultrasounds? LOL) I have mini-panic attacks at every cervix check, but so far, so good.

I am now 34w1d--if I can get there, you can get there! :-)
Take it easy!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Becci said...

Oh girl, I am sorry that you had a hard appointment yesterday. I know about the funneling, and I can only imagine how scary it is if they think your cerclage is low. My peri keeps talking about how I could be in for a long hospital stay. My appointment is tomorrow and every week I mentally prepare for the possibility of being admitted.... his office is right at the hospital I would be in. I wonder.... will we all be sane at the end of this with all they put us through??? I have a feeling I will be a blubbering idiot. You're doing great! 24 weeks that's awesome. 4 more weeks and you are past the "danger zone" so to speak. I have a good feeling about you going well into the 30s.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

OK, this was me at your stage. Just like Sarah, I too did the two-week vacation in the perinatal surveillance ward. Which, I loved that name -- like I was a white-collar criminal and the FBI was watching me.

Where was I? Oh yes, funnelling...

I think a lot of us funnel to the stitch. And it's dynamic, I am sure, so it fluctuates. My peri went so far as to stop telling me my number because I was so focused on that and what it was looking like.

You want my opinion? If they hospitalize you, it sucks, but it's the best place to be in those critical weeks from 24-26. Seriously. I felt good about my care -- if you start contracting, they know about it, even if you can't feel it. If you shorten, they know right away because they dildocam you every couple of days. And they can give you the steroids for peace of mind as well.

Just hang in there. These are the toughest few weeks and you WILL get through this. My high-risk man is currently gurgling on the floor on his playmat. I hope that gives you hope!!!

If you ever need to hear some reassurance, feel free to email me. sprengblingbling at gmail(dot)com.

3:08 PM  
Blogger hallegracesmama said...

I'm not sure how I happened upon your blog (or the "friends" you have linked to)...but oh, how I'm pulling for ALL of you! My daughter was born at 23wks due to an incompetent cervix. Someday, *if* we decide to have another, I too will have a cerclage and experience the same exciting bed rest and dr vists. Hang in there!!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home