My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Thursday, September 14, 2006

How To Mark an Anniversary

A year ago today we lost our twin girls. Interestingly, I realize as I write this I will tell a bit of their story, but last night I had decided that while I would write something, I was not going to write their story because it would be too hard. But it wants to come out, so I will write it.

My husband and I had a routine ultrasound appointment which the techs tried NOT to do since I had been there two weeks earlier and everything looked great. They called my doctor (my famous perinatologist) and she told them with all twin pregnancies, she has them done more often. So the tech grumpily got to work, saying our babies looked “totally healthy” just two weeks ago. What would change?! She was very quiet during our ultrasound, and then suddenly the actual radiologist was in there looking at our stuff. We didn’t get it. We didn’t know enough then that to have the real doctor decide to take a looksee signified something bad and not something good. The radiologist disappeared and then came back to let us know that our doctor wanted us to go up to labor and delivery. She said our doctor would meet us on the way up. She told us to wait for someone to take us. I said something along the lines of “oh, I work here, I know where it is.” But then a nurse showed up with a wheelchair and my first feeling of fear started creeping in.

Our doc met us on the way, and explained the situation, but it was still confusing. I still thought that we might get monitored for an hour and sent home. I think I was feeling a little cavalier about it. When we got to the front desk at L&D, my friend and colleague was there. She said, “oh no!” and I started crying. I still didn’t really get that something was really wrong, but somewhere something was being understood because I couldn’t stop the tears.

Finally, we met with the attending doctor on call. We were told we had a “50/50 chance” of saving the twins. My cervix was practically all the way open, water bags bulging. They would perform an emergency cerclage. It was my first time hearing the term. They said they would do it first thing in the morning, and asked that I sleep with my hips up all night to try to get the water bags back where they belonged in my uterus. It was a terrible night. We cried all night, and, although I wasn’t sure, I felt leaking every time I used the bed pan. In the morning they decided to check me before surgery, a surgery everyone managed to remind me was only a “50/50 chance of success at best.” They told me that I would be on bedrest the remainder of the pregnancy. It was all so scarey and overwhelming. During the exam before surgery, my water bag broke all over the place. I was still so naïve, I remember saying, “what was that warm liquid?”

This is where things get bad, and where I notice I am not feeling much like writing anymore. We had a lot of decisions to make about whether to induce, to do a D&E or to let nature take its course and wait for me to naturally go into labor. We had one twin still floating around in her unbroken water bag, and inducing seemed very awful knowing she was still in there healthy and clueless. But the risk of infection was high, and any chance of saving her was grim. I remember my doctor giving me a speech about her first priority being my health, and that infection could be very harmful to me and my ability to have future pregnancies. We decided to induce. It was awful decision. Later, we found out that the placenta had already become infected. It would have just been a matter of time. Still, that moment of deciding to end the pregnancy was one of the worst moments of an ordeal of horrible moments.

The good news is that we had a very caring doctor and nurse for our night of hell, and it turns out that it mattered. They were wonderful, and I think of them still. The social worker was my work supervisor. Odd, but comforting. We had an epidural. I remember the anesthesiology resident saying something about it being early for an epidural, and the nurse cutting him off and saying, “she’s in pain and she doesn’t need to feel pain.” It all happened quickly. I hardly felt the delivery, they were so small. We held them, we said our good-byes. We cried. The next morning, we went home and those first dark days began.

I was wondering how I would feel today given what happened a year ago. I also wondered how you mark an anniversary like this, especially with our son, who is not quite a month old, and who I love with everything I have. On the first anniversary of my father’s death a few months ago (yeah, it was a shitty few months last year) and I remember thinking that these anniversary’s are important, not because of the symbolism or the rituals, but because they force you to think of that person or that day. You can’t avoid it. I hadn’t thought of my dad too much day to day several months before his anniversary, and I don’t think of the twins everyday anymore. Yet, because it is the anniversary, I have written this story and I already feel some relief by doing that.

It also gives me a chance to think about the last year. If there is a silver lining to losing my twin girls it’s that I appreciate my life so much more. I don’t take nearly as much for granted and having gone through something so powerfully painful has and made me a better, maybe even more interesting person. When we lost the girls, pretty much the only people who understood were people who had gone through tremendous loss themselves. Knowing you can heal, or find some peace after something like this…it’s hard to explain except to say my perspective on almost everything is shifted. It’s shifted in a good way. Again, if you have to find something good about it…believe me, I am also wondering today who we missed knowing, who our girls would grow up to be, and I am feeling the sadness of that for sure.

As I write this, I glace up at my baby, who is napping at my side, and feel so much love for him. It is a thoughtful day, but it doesn’t have to be a bad one.

13 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I've been reading for a few weeks, but am not sure if I've ever commented. I just wanted to say I'm truly sorry for your loss. Congratulations on your beautiful boy.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Becci said...

I am so sorry. I know the feelings and the mixed emotions that come with it. Hope you have some peace.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your story and am truly sorry for your loss. I can relate to your feelings. In 1999 I delivered my first twin daughter at 22 weeks and lost her. Then 17 days later I had my second at 24 weeks and 4 days weighing 1 lb. 2 oz.. She was 7 on Sept. 5, 2006 and is perfectly healthy (small but healthy). I know how fortunate I am to have her & count my blessings every day. Congratulations on you son. He's adorable!

6:34 PM  
Blogger gaygilmore said...

Thanks K.

For me it was actually nice to get more details on your tragedy, because it seems more real to me now. Part of the whole process-ing I guess.

Love you guys. Now why am I not on the Quinn's Aunties photos e-mail distribution list? ;) I suck that shit up.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

k-
I can't begin to say how sorry I am for your loss. You never cease to amaze and inspire me. What a brave thing for you to write about. I agree that it's important to mark these anniversaries, and that it's not necessarily a bad day. Seeing your beautiful son and knowing how speacial and cherished he is helps us to realize how precious and wonderful life is.
We love you guys very much.
alice

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so sorry for your loss, i do feel your pain because my husband and i went through the same thing losing our son at 22 weeks. but now we do have a beautiful son who will be one next month and i also had to get a cerclage done not one but two, but unfortunately i ended up with a c section because when they took my stitches out i had scar tissue that was so strong i couldn't dilate pass 4! But congrats on the little boy.

2:06 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

thank you for sharing your story--I cannot imagine the losses you have suffered and i am so very glad that you've been blessed with your little boy. You deserve all the happiness in the world.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thank you sharing the story of your girls. I'm sorry for your loss.

Congratulations on the beautiful son.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found my way to your blog. I have a similiar story. I lost twin girls at 19 weeks 3 days on June 12th of this year. I am still coming to terms with everything that has happened and where to go from here. I've had other issues and have been told that I will need a cerclage for subsequent pregnancies and just wanted to thank you for sharing your story and helping give me hope that I can have a successful pregnancy one day. Congratulations on your little boy.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just happened to stumble upon your blog this morining. October 29 with be the first anniversary of my daughter's birth and death. I had an incompetant cervix and she was born at 22 weeks. I am dreading that day and it was nice to see how you dealt with the anniversary of your little girls. I do not really know anyone who has went through this so I am glad to read your blog. My husband and I are too scared to try to conceive again because we are still devestated. But I am happy to see that there is a possibility for more children when you have an incompetent cervix. Congratulations on having your little boy!

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. My DH and I lost our little boy at 21 weeks this past August. I know that I will need a cerclage for the next pregnancy. It was comforting to read that you were blessed with a baby after the loss of your first two! I feel like we have been to HELL and back and I hope I can make it through the next pregnancy. Thanks for sharing your story. When it happened to us, I felt like the only member of a really sad, horrible club. Now that I have done more research I realize how many people this has affected. It really helps our healing to hear from people like you who have encountered the same hellish storm and made it through to the other side. Thanks again.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your bolg has been so comforting. I lost my 2nd baby due to an incompetent cervix 3 weeks ago on 11/15/06. His name was Aidan; I lost my daughter 10 years ago February due to the same thing. Both of my babies were lost at 18 weeks. This 2nd time around I did have a cerclage in place, but apparently my baby still didn't hold. As you can imagine the 2nd time around is much more devastating. I am at a very angry and sad stage right now but reading your blog has given me some comfort. I feel as if something is wrong with me, and that I may never experience bringing a baby into this world, and watching him/her grow - it is my biggest fear. I would like to try again but it will be sometime since I am really traumatized by this happening again. Knowing that you were able to have your beautiful baby boy gives me hope - thank you! I will try to lessen the fear and stay optimistic that next time around it will work.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Cerclage Lady said...

I read your whole blog in just 2 days. I lost my twins Olivia and Benjamin 3 weeks ago, also due to an incompetent cervix. During a routine exam at 21 weeks, my cervix was funneled and 0.8cm short. The doctors did an emergency cerclage and I was put on strict hospital bedrest for 4 weeks. But at 25 weeks, an infection must have gone in the way because I suddenly went into labor. They performed an emergency c-section, and both my babies were born alive. But my daughter's heart was not strong enough and she only lived to 40 minutes in my husband's arms. My son fought a battle in the NICU for 2 days, but he started bleeding into his lungs and brain. He died in my arms.

Reading your blog has given me hope for the future when I had none. It showed me that it IS possible to survive bedrest and more importantly, that is IS possible to give birth to beautiful healthy babies at term, despite an incompetent cervix. So thank you from the bottom of my heart.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home