My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Friday, September 22, 2006

One Month Yesterday

Yesterday the little guy turned a month old. He is already growing out of his first newborn clothes and getting so fat on his arms and legs. I love it! He is also awake so much more during the day, and I swear he has smiled at me twice.

We celebrated by putting him in his own room to sleep instead of ours. I woke to some crying at 3am. I wonder how long it had been going on before I heard it and attended to his feeding. One of my older brothers recently gave me some cynical parenting advice, "The key to parenting success is for you to be as negligent with your first child as we have been with our third." Hmmm.... Even my mother, who is a mother of 5 grown children, appeared to observe with a wry smile how concerned we were about weight gain, "I just figured if they ate, they were gaining weight." Oh. But wait. She then paused for a second as a memory appeared to enter her brain. Funny, my youngest brother, the last of the 5, actually hadn't been gaining weight and the only reason she noticed is that my grandfather mentioned something along the lines of, "that kid looks a little scrawny." As my mother told this story I was duly appalled, "What did you DO?!" My mother didn't seem to be able to recall, and finally said, "Oh. you know. The pediatrician put me on some plan, and I think it got resolved." So...a little 3am crying for the first month, no biggy, right? Self soothing is a good skill!

This week was not only exciting because of One Month; it was also premiere week (that’s right, this overzealousness is not about the kid, it’s about TV)! I am a shameless TV watcher and I will admit that I toasted to my son’s one month birthday with a glass of wine and a nod to the TV as "Grey’s Anatomy" filled the living room with its comforting, familiar, narcissistic angst ridden characters.

2 Comments:

Blogger Relentless Toil said...

I'm so happy to see that Quinn has arrived and that he is well. What a blessing!
Your strength amazes me.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Becci said...

Good to hear that he's doing well. Congrats on one month! We'll be there soon, too.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home