My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm Too Sensitive

For my job! Thank God it ends soon. Next week is my last week. I wish my last day were tomorrow. Last week was very intense. Intense is often a part of my work. It's just that now I am ill equipped to manage it. Hearing of terrible domestic violence, or poverty or, and this was unusual, a baby who died in intensive care...it is just too much. I'm too affected. Of course because I work in pediatrics there are always children involved. I just can't see their little faces and know some of the sad, sad truths about their lives right now. I sound very dramatic because, honestly, I often find my patients inspiring and I encounter a lot of hope at work. But as I said, I'm too sensitive these days. It’s funny how these aspects of pregnancy do turn out to be true. I cry at nothing. Everyone says you're more sensitive, but for some reason now, at the very end, it is really happening in a way I can really see. I don't often well up in tears because a patient tells me they're having trouble paying their rent. I'm serious. That happened. I shouldn't be interacting with these people anymore.

Monday night I slept very badly. On Tuesday my husband all but forced me to call in sick. It was a great idea. I had just finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl, which as far as I can tell, is one step above a trashy novel. It was sort of like a soap opera--everyone having sex and backstabbing each other. It was great. I'm back to my usual inability to read anything serious during pregnancy. Yesterday I went to the 11:45am showing of the movie. It stunk but that’s probably because after just reading the book I was bound to be disappointed. Still, the guilty pleasure aspect of going to a stupid movie after reading a stupid book wasn't lost. I needed it. Afterwards I picked up Q and spent the afternoon with him which was lovely, especially because I was well rested and in good spirits. Today back at work and my heart is not in it. My last day is Thursday the 27th.

It can't come soon enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger May said...

Hey, you're nearly there!! I hope it passes quickly for you.

7:43 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

I totally hear you; I can barely watch the news these days and if there's anything mentioned of a child being harmed, I am crying.

I also haven't been able to watch an emotionally demanding film in years.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home