My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Go Giants!

I can't say I am much of a football fan. I do come from a family of football fans. Even though I grew up with 4 brothers, it's actually my Mom who puts us all to shame with her fan hood. She watches sports all the time, and literally stays home on Sundays during the winter for the football games. You should have heard her last week, "I've been listening to Mike and the Mad Dog all week and they don't think it looks good." If you don't know who Mike and the Mad Dog are, it just means that you, like me, are not a sports fan. And also, you don't live in or around New York.

When I do engage in sports excitement, it is usually for hockey, not football. I can honestly say I was a true Rangers fan in high school. I knew the players, I knew the game and when they won the Stanley Cup and the curse was lifted, it was a great day. But I digress. We are talking football now. It is my family's curse to be die hard NY Jets fans. We tend to go for the working class team. I like the Mets. I like the Jets. The bridge and tunnel team with the embarrassing fan base that gets arrested for sexual harassment. That's always the team we supported in my house.

In any case, growing up, the message was clear about the NY Giants. If the Jets aren't going to make it, we root for the Giants with no shame. We are New Yorkers after all. That meant a lot of supporting the Giants since the Jets haven't won a super bowl since 1969. Have they even been in a super bowl since then? Husband grew up in Manhattan. The Giants and the Yankees are more his speed. What can I say, I am a suburban girl, and he’s a sophisticated city boy.

Last Sunday he wanted to watch football. It was unusual to see my intellectual husband jumping up and down and acting like a frat boy, even though his hipster glasses and sneaks scream that the word "Dude" is not actually a part of his vocabulary. Quinn and I were hanging upstairs listening to clapping and screams of "yeah!" that brought back images of childhood. All three of us watched some of the overtime, and the husband, bless is dorky heart, looked much more like himself when he looked at me all worried-like and bit on his finger in distress as the winning field goal was kicked. I like him much better than that jumping up and down "dude" guy.

Looong story short is that I am actually kind of excited to watch the big super bowl game. So...Go Giants (since I can't say go Jets. Sorry Jets)!!

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Even though I am a Patriots girl through and through (originally from New England), I have to say, that Giants/Packers game made a frat boy out of me! It was awesome! I'm so relieved that guy made the field goal; I was pretty sure the coach would have decimated him right then and there on the side of the field had he kicked left again...

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giants - 26
Patriots - 24

You read it here first.

We miss you guys!

xo
Chris

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home