My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hillary Vs. Obama

What is a girl to do?

Let me start by acknowledging that I am proudly registered as a Democrat. Are you surprised? No, I don’t think so. Clue #1: I am a social worker. There aren’t that many Republicans as among us (I’m not saying that it's true across the board,it's just mostly true across the board). Clue #2: I live in San Francisco. There are not many Republicans among us, either. Put those two truths together and really, there is no doubt. Lest I go on an anti-Republican rant (you’re not all homophobic, racist people, right? You just support policies that turn out that way….) Shit. I ranted right there in the parenthesis. Sorry. Here I go again. Lest I go on an anti-Republican rant, let me get to the real point of this post.

I cannot decide between Obama and Senator Clinton. I fear I will be flipping a coin on Feb 5th to make this major decision between two worthy candidates. Here’s the rub. I like Obama better, but I do not want to like Obama better. Why not? Because I can’t believe that in America, the land of opportunity, the land of the free, the land of anything can happen in this country if we work hard enough—that in this country, we have shamefully, yes I wag my finger at us, shamefully, never elected a woman as a president of the United States. It is outrageous. Pakistan managed to do it and we haven’t?? WTF?

Here we are with a viable female candidate, one whose politics I generally agree with and whom I do believe would be a strong leader and yet…and yet I am about to vote for the guy. I am trying so hard not too. At first I just thought it was some societal sexism I have from growing up in our culture. Really, if there is something I can’t stand it is when women (like my mom, actually) just shake their heads and say, “I just don’t like her. There is something about her.” I hate it because I find it so small minded. But I also know what they mean. I wonder do we not like her because she seems cold, ambitious and power-hungry? And are these traits we would even notice in a man? Would I wonder if a man going for arguably the most powerful position in the world was “power-hungry?” I generally celebrate the differences between men and women and am very glad for my lack of testosterone, but there is a part of me that must ask if I am off-put by Hillary because she exhibits qualities that I am not traditionally used to seeing in a woman. Hence, I wonder if I am sexist. Then I decided. Nah.

Hillary has a sucky personality. My evidence is Madeline Albright. When I hear or see hear interviewed, I hang on her every word. I find her inspiring and powerful and truly admirable and not cold and robotic. I love Madeline. I’m down with women in power.

I have been watching the speeches after each primary. Time and time again, I watch Hillary (who I notice I refer to by her first name, and let the men have the respect of their last names. Maybe I am sexist after all) and I am unmoved. I want to be moved. But I am not. When Obama gave his speech after South Carolina, I was crying. Tears!! The husband walked in on me blubbering “Yes we can!” When Obama speaks, I listen. I want to take action. I totally buy into the whole thing. Change!! I simply have a stronger response to Obama. Plus, there is the pesky issue of the nepotism. How can we say this is a country for all if we end up having a Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton White House?

Don’t get me wrong. If Clinton wins the nomination, I will surely happily vote for her and shamelessly insist all women should do the same. But right now, my heart is with Obama!! Yes we can!!! I guess I am not torn after all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Monica H said...

Ooh, I feel the same. I like Obama but I find myself wanting to vote for Hillary because she's a woman. And I also refer to her as "Hillary" instead of Clinton to not confuse her with Bill. And also because she has a first name that sounds good on it's own as opposed to Barrack. But that's just me...

11:19 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

I'm with you; if I weren't so mesmerized by every word Obama says (after 8 years of trying to decipher what The Decider is even saying, it's so refreshing), I would be struggling as well. I'd love an Obama/Clinton ticket, but I doubt that will happen.

I'll be voting for Obama in our primary (I'm also in a profession/area that is rife w/ democrats, no surprise), but I'll be happy to vote for Hillary if she's the party's nominee.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Ooh great post!!
I agree w/ you, but it's only pretty recently that I've come to this realization, and it isn't because I'm a self-hating woman I swear!
It's really come down to how the Clintons have handled this campaign that has completely turned me off of her. The mischaracterizing quotes/political double talk/scorch the earth approach they have taken is what sickened me about Rove, and the Bush Jr. campaigns, and to see them doing it (because, hey, it worked for Bush!) just makes me sad. And it has completely backfired for me. I will vote for Clinton any day of the week if she's the nominee, but will be voting for Obama in the primary. That is, since Kucinich is out. Shocking, isn't it, that among legal aid lawyers there aren't many republicans either.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog all the time, and I am happy to read a different view. I am a Republican, but support gay rights. Nor am I racist/sexist/or any of the other things that Democrats tend to lump on us. I believe in gay marriage, support states rights, a smaller government, gun control, anti illegal immigration, pro life, and support national health care. I am all over the board in my beliefs as I am sure you are as well. But I am unmoved by Obama. I find him manipulative, inexperienced, and arrogant. But I am equally unimpressed by the Republican candidates. Obama cannot win, IMO. I tell you, if Hillary wins the primary, I will be voting for her. Sexist Republican....perhaps, I want to see a woman in office. Racist..no, we are not racist nor are we homophobes. Like any group, meaning, religious or political - there are some fanatics that make the rest of us normal people who are not extreme look bad. You won't catch me voting for Huckabee, I liked Guiliani.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah. But how about those GIANTS??!!

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home