My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Friday, May 19, 2006

Guru Says Relax!

Guru came over Wednesday to do some safe stretching. I told her my new fear of giving birth and becoming parent, and then quickly added that thinking or saying it out loud is as far as I can go, but maybe in a few weeks I might be able to do some birth education. She's all "sure sure" but then, in our session, she starts sneakily giving me bits of information as if she is just spouting her usual guru noise. She utters a few tips here and there about calming myself with music, and how her clients find that the music they use to calm themselves while pregnant works after the baby is born on the baby. Hmm. She also manages to add a bit about the natural process of breathing into a contraction the same way we were practicing breathing into the pain of my aching hips. Uh. Okay.

After we are through, she bestows on me this "goal" of relaxation. She tells me to commit to a relaxation ritual 15 minutes a day, saying that she can really tell the difference between her clients who practice relaxation and those that don't, “It helps with everything, not just pregnancy.” She suggests meditating, breathing, or even lying in one of the gentle poses we do--whatever floats my boat.

As she is speaking this advice, I'm thinking, "I can't believe this bitch." She is trying to sneak in preparation for all this stuff, and she is giving me a task that will really help me if I do it, but I know I won't and then I will have to tell her I didn't and then I won't feel good about that. Furthermore, I begin to understand, with alarm, she is using all my own tricks on me that I use on other people when I am doing counseling or social work. She is helping me set goals, and giving me tools for said goals and I am, let's just say, feeling a wee bit resistant to being on the other side of the yoga mat, if you get my drift. I start thinking about all the people I meet at the hospital who have misconceptions or defenses against social workers, and suddenly, they all seem totally reasonable. Good ego strength is what they have. That’s what I say!

So the next day, yesterday, I have another full-on breakdown. Because there is this other shameful feeling about high risk pregnancy involving extreme lifestyle curtailment I encounter. For me it is the sentiment, visceral and bold, that I just want my life back! The one where I felt normal: not damaged, tragic...incompetent! The one where I go out to eat, enjoy a glass of wine, and am more than a bum cervix. Once that feeling of missing the old me comes up, I start to think. Oh shit. Most people go through pregnancy thinking that they are preparing for the big challenge. I’m thinking that the big challenge is over at birth. I keep on saying things like, "when this is over" as if that means that I don't have some other major life changing event that this whole thing is about! What stinks about these thoughts are that I then feel guilty, because I have spent the last year pregnant (save for the 2-3 short months in-between) to get to this goal of having a baby. How can I even remotely have ambivalence about it?

At this point I have gotten myself into such a tizzy. I am a failure at bedrest, how will I be a mom when I am having thoughts of bubble baths, long runs and sushi as events I would possibly sell my soul to the devil to have back in my life. I am about to start with the waterworks, and then I realize: Guru says relax. I approach the yoga mat, sit down and start my deep breathing. I do a pose or two, and well, yeah, that seems to have calmed me a bit. 11 minutes is all I have in me. It is...maybe 30% successful. As I am sitting there, my husband magically appears and I immediatly cry and blubber the whole thought process and receive some reassurance from him (i.e. I am doing such a great job, I will do such a great job, we will be happy, we will be active etc etc). I feel better from the relaxation or the husband--it's a toss up, but I do end up feeling better.

Still, maybe Guru has a small point, and I will try again today to practice relaxtion. Given how honestly I have just spewed my crazy bedrest mind, I can safely admit that maybe I do need a little, uh, intervention in the relaxation sphere. Isn't that ironic considering that's supposedly all I do?

2 Comments:

Blogger Becci said...

oh, how I can relate to those feelings. I can be found saying a lot of the same things..."when this is over" and such.

And whoever thinks that bedrest is relaxing at all has never been on bedrest.

As for the social worker, I am glad to have mine, she is very understanding and said she would fight for whatever I need right now. You guys are important people!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

"When this is over" was the mantra of my pregnancy. As in "when this is over, you never have to: ... help around the house again" (to husband, after he was doing so much). And "you never have to make me lunch again" (to my mom, who took care of me three days a week). And "I will beat you with a stick" (to my sister who raided my closet and laughed because she said I couldn't wear the clothes nor could I chase her down).

It does NOT make you a bad person to wish this was over. Or to want to cheat. Or to be ambivalent. It's normal. Or as normal as we can be as high-risk preggos!

You can always use a picture in your head of a plate of sushi with a glass of red wine as your meditation "happy place!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home