My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Monday, June 19, 2006

Chugging Along....

I am finally inspired to post again. I didn't feel like it for a few days, for no good reason. No inspiration I guess. I started wondering, what if I don't feel like posting EVER again? What if that was my last post?? That didn’t sit well, so thankfully I waited it out, and sure enough, some thoughts have come percolating back. I am still not fully feeling the blog vibe, but I am committed to this thing, at least until I get through the pregnancy. I am hoping it is a good sign I haven't needed to vent as much because everything appears to be going well. I feel a little bad for neglecting it (you see? This is who I am. I am feeling GUILTY for neglecting my BLOG, which is theoretically NOT supposed to be able to cause guilt since it is not even alive).

Last week on Monday I had my ultrasound and then I went out for coffee. Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday I stayed down (sort of) keeping my bed rest recommitment vow in mind. Thursday night, I went crazy (scene: husband petting my shoulder while desperately saying “Okay! Okay! Don’t cry. Let’s go out to lunch tomorrow.”)seemingly reacting to the reality of a long 3 days indoors. Friday we went out in part to get me out of the house, and in part to celebrate 30 weeks of successful cooking. Then I stayed down on Sat (again, it seems I have a new definition of what that means. It evidently involves doing dishes, pacing while on the phone and cooking a bit) and yesterday--God bless yesterday. My husband sprung me for a drive into Marin to Muir Beach.

This excursion involved driving 30 minutes over the Golden Gate Bridge and through the beautiful Headlands. We parked and walked from the parking lot to the beach (a pathway), and then to our specific spot on the beach (another 100 yards) and then up to the water a few times to have the cold Pacific blissfully cool off my feet. It was heaven! It was the kind of day to make me remember why I love where I live. The blue ocean, sky and the Marin Headlands surrounding us made me appreciate Northern California like I haven’t in a while. We sat on a blanket, had a picnic, used suntan lotion and read the paper. If there is a silver lining to bed rest, it’s that I have renewed appreciation for wonderful daily luxuries--like dipping ones feet in the ocean on a hot day. Sometimes I am astounded by how much I took for granted before.

No ultrasound today, but an OB appointment that went well. My peri is practically a girlish giggling teenager she is so pleased with my progress. I am continually floored by this version of her, which I still suspect is a zombie clone of my original perinatalogist, who had a decidedly less optimistic approach. She was totally fine with the beach excursion. I even tried to be honest about my house activity and she didn’t blink. She also scheduled my cerclage removal date for 36 weeks and she said by 34 weeks that I can have normal activity as long as I am not feeling contractions. That is just 3 ½ weeks from now!!! The contractions at that point are only worrisome in that the stitch is still in and she doesn't want it to tear the beloved cervix. This is all wonderful, but the most exciting thing has yet to be written.

The most exciting thing is that she has given me permission to spend this weekend away. My mother is visiting and my godparents own a beautiful house in the wine country where we will all go and lounge in the sun and get fed. Again, it’s the little luxuries. The walls of my home are closing in, and I can’t think of a better time for a change in scenery.

1 Comments:

Blogger Becci said...

Have a GREAT weekend!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home