My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Friday, May 26, 2006

Pillow Talk Shut Down

A few weeks ago I was hearing the (happy) labor story of friend of mine who recently had a baby. As she talked about going to bed the night she delivered, she voiced a throw away comment about how she went to her own bed, having kicked her husband out of their mutual bed months earlier in the pregnancy. Did I feel a little prickle of judgment? I do have a memory of noting how my husband and I were sleeping happily together, despite my many pillows and pregnancy complaints.

Last night was day four of kicking the husband to the guest room. I am a sensitive sleeper (read: insomniac) in the best of times and with my new pregnancy grumpiness, I can't deal with a) space issues b) snoring (husband says, "breathing") and c) the yellow lab taking up 1/3 of the bed. I have a 5 pillow system. I need to roll over and adjust waiting pillows on either side of me multiple times a night. Last night, early in one of my "rollovers," my husband meekly asked, "Can you not pull the covers?" My words were out before I could fully think them, "you need to go the other room." He jumped up clutching his one measly pillow, groggy and half asleep and, I might add, looking quite cute with his hair sticking up and his stripped boxers making their appearance outside the bed. I detected he was not annoyed; in fact, I picked up a palpable sense of relief from his sleepy self. He said, "Its okay" and before the door shut, "we all sleep better this way." I hoped for different, but let's just say he is not the only one who sighed with a sentiment of liberation when he left. I blissfully took advantage of my big empty bed and happily sprawled, pillow under every limb.

What I really mind is waking up without him in the morning. That yucky feeling of no warm body (specifically his warm body) next to me is the reason I start each night with the pretense that we will make it through. Oh well, at least we made it through two trimesters before I kicked him to the guestroom curb.

As for the cervix, it is shorter, but the funneling looks resolved again. As predicted, peri observed that the funneling appears when she loosens my bed rest privileges, and then goes away when she keeps me down. I think I am pretty stuck until 36 weeks. She, however, did give me a bit of hope for this weekend. I have my regular ultrasound on Tuesday, so she suggested I increase my activity a little on Monday. If there is funneling after that, we'll know to keep bed rest strict. If not, I have hope again. We are planning an outing involving a picnic blanket and a park! Woohoo!

2 Comments:

Blogger Becci said...

oh, the insomnia! I know the feeling all too well. Poor thing...
And wow on being so close to 28 weeks!!!!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home