My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Monday, June 05, 2006

Peri Knows Best

I broke the laptop. Literally. I broke the hardware, I have been without laptop for a few days while it is off getting fixed. It totally bites. I am only online periodically when husband takes a break from work and I risk the time sitting at the desk. So...my blogging is also temporarily truncated. Except that nothing can keep me down (except months of bedrest, but I meant it figuratively)! Here I am, determined to post.

No ultrasound today. I am officially far enough along that peri said she thought I could go every two weeks for the next two, and after that, I might not have anymore until 34 weeks or so. On one hand it makes me nervous, on the other hand it is nice to take a break from all the monitoring. She said there are no more interventions besides steroid shots and anti contraction meds, so, I will simply pay attention to possible contractions and keep up the bedrest (which I am finding harder and harder to do and notice that I often float around the house before chastising myself that it is not house arrest, it is bedrest!)

We did have a regular OB appointment today. I am now 28 1/2 weeks with a pretty long cervix (despite minor funnel) according to last weeks ultrasound. Peri and I squared off with my usual question about my activity level. And as predicted, I not allowed more acitivity. Actually, that's not true. She did say that she thought I could go out maybe once a week for limited period of time, no standing, no walking--except from car to wherever I am going. No outings in the evening because apparently that's when contractions are more likely to happen. She is so sneaky. She tells me that my life on the couch is much the same, but continues to floor me with questions that infer she thinks all will be fine. This time she asked about a baby shower (probably not going to happen until after delivery--its sort of cultural for my husband and sort of a weird superstition from previous experience), baby classes ("they are important!! Sign up for about 3 weeks from now!!") extra support for both of us for after delivery (multiple parents chomping at the bit and causing many, many discussions at home). These questions make me so pleased that I am being treated with such confidence I will carry to term, I forget to push my agenda and leave in much the same bedrest situation I arrived. I have two weeks until we meet again. Peri will not knock me away from my goal so easily next time!

In typical "always want more" fashion, I am truly thrilled to reach 28 weeks, but I basked in that knowledge for maybe 5 minutes before I started on the "32 weeks is really much better." So....I am still giving the cervix and baby good vibes, and lying about like a beached whale while I await the next milestone and the next visit with ultrasound the machine and the peri.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello my name is jade and i jus found out i am 4 weeks and 3 days pregnant, i lost my baby boy in oct 2004 to a thinning cervix and my doc says i will have to have one of these cerclage things to make sure my baby stays in this time, to b honest the words 'pooing myself" isnt even nearly enough to describe how scared i am right now! i mean what if it doesnt work or even worse what if it causes a miscarriage, i have heard thats possible. my partner works and i have a 4 yr old daughter and all this u talk about bed rest is also scary as how can i handle looking after myself and a 4 yr old while my hubby is at work? it all seems like too much to handle right now!
id love to chat to u and get some advice, i havnt read much of ur blog as yet coz i jus found this site and really need to get to bed coz i am soooo tired! my email addy is the_sxc_btch@hotmail.com so if u would like to talk to me u can email or add me to msn. id really love to hear back from u, u may b the only person in this world that can ease my mind!

take care always xox jade

4:04 AM  
Blogger Becci said...

Congratulations on the 28 week mark! And no laptop, I would be so sad. I have to continue seeing the peri until he removes the stitch because of the progesterone shots. Blech. I have yet to have a regular OB appt since before the stitch was put in.... maybe after 32 weeks I will??? I'm hoping the next few weeks fly by for us!

7:35 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

keep up the good work! I know how frustrating the bedrest is! I was actually put on more restrictions at 28w (leaving the hospital); I didn't get any "freedom" until 32w and delivered almost 3 weeks later.
Except for actual labor (started at around 9am), all my contractions were at night and the nurses told me that most women on the high risk pregnancy floor who had contractions did so at night--weird, but true!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

KMW,
I just wanted to say congrats! I had a loss last March at 15 weeks (healthy baby boy for his part), and they thought it might be an IC. Anyways we ended up having trouble getting pregnant until January of this year (same timing as last baby...a little weird). We are also having a baby boy. I am in the military and found a good doctor in that she had sent me to a fetal assessment unit for cervical lengths every 2 weeks starting at 9 weeks. Since the diagnosis on the first loss was never confirmed I opted to continue monitoring my length since the cerclage does carry some risk. Anyways I thought all was good went in at 16+4 and found my cervix had shortened to 2.6 from 3.5cm. I had the cerclage done that Wednesday, but had bed rest through out the weekend and back to work the following Monday. I have to have my doctor officially put me on part-time or permanent bed rest which has yet to happen. Thankfully I work in an office with a good boss who put me on half days anyways. Anyways when I have weird feeling (sporadic vaginal pain but not cramping) I get freaked out and start searching for more information online about others and what they are experiencing or have experienced with their cerclages. That is how I happened to come upon your blog today and I just wanted to say thank you. I know i am stir crazy on limited activity, I go to work and home during the week, I do go places but usually only something like a movie, dinner, or the dog park where I can sit, so i can't imagine what you are going through, but I know you already realize how wonderful it is to have medical care where the best interests of your son is the basis of the care you receive. Didn't mean that as a "be grateful" speach more of a I'm jealous, because now I am off to work even after having these wonderful "vaginal pains" and even though it's only 4 hours I feeling like I am not always doing what is in the best interest of my baby. However I am still pregnant and I feel the baby every day or more specifically every night ;) and I am grateful for every day. So sorry I posted on a venting day but Thank you for your blog!!!!!

Take care,
Karin

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 20w1d with cerclage won't see my doc. For another 2weeks im kind of nervous because I've lost 2 babies @ 19 & 20 weeks before. Glad to be able to read others experiences it helps.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home