My Cerclage

In September 2005, I was pregnant with twin girls. I lost my pregnancy at 19 weeks apparently due to my "incompetent cervix." I became pregnant again and wrote all about it on this blog. I now have a wonderful son. Since bed rest, anxiety and cerclage were so much fun, I've decided to do it all again.....

Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Running Life

I can't believe I am going to write this post about running because it is so weird how much space--emotionally and physically--running has taken in my life. Seriously, it's strange. In high school, I was part of a running team that was nationally known. My coach was recognized as one of the best in the country and I ate, slept and breathed running. I actually went to running camp. I even told stories about running camp (the shame!) Fall was cross-country which eventually gave way to winter and spring track. I was a sprinter, hurdler and high-jumper and also I was very average on this team. But it was a HUGE part of my identity and I still recognize myself as a "runner" today. It's in quotes because "runner's" don't see themselves as "jogger's" and runner's wear "running shoes" and not "sneakers" and "runner's" give each other a nod of solidarity on the trails, the "runner's wave" if you will. I am a "runner" (huge dork).

Hahhhahhahhahhahhahhhhaaaahhhaaaa! It's funny that I have this totally pretentious thought process about a sport, the reality of which is that I have no business identifying with. I waddle, barely the pace of a shuffle in "running clothes" from high school or freshman year of college (only a novice still runs in a cotton t-shirt. No wicking fabric for me) and come home so spent and claim, "I just went for a run." Well, this delusional me signed up for a half-marathon 5 months ago that takes place this Sunday in Golden Gate Park. I have, in my shuffle state, actually gotten myself through two 8-mile runs, the last one being a few weeks ago. Now. Since I am seriously deranged, I often think I can do more than I can because I've been a "runner" for 20 years and have a history of finishing half-marathon's (remember Vancouver, Alice? That was the last one!) at various points of my life. Since I suffered through 8 miles somewhat recently, I am telling myself that if need be I can workout and extra two to make 10, at which point I only have 3.1 left to complete a half marathon.

Call me crazy, but since I paid the fee, I am showing up this Sunday morning to see what happens--waddle butt, two jog-bras (thank you new milky pregnancy boobs), cotton-tee and a grim set of my jaw as I say to myself "I am a runner. I am a runner...." Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger BasilBean said...

Your post has brought a smile to my face (hmm...my most recent post made you cry, doesn't really seem fair...).
I too am a runner :) I ran my third marathon this November. Running is great, no matter how you do it (fast, slow, whatever).

Have fun in the half-marathon this weekend! I always find that the races have an energy to them that make the miles go by a little differently than when you are on a training run. Maybe then first 10 will feel more like the 8 did, then you can count down the last 3.1

BTW, thanks for the comment on my blog...it helps me to feel less alone with all of this.
-Michelle

1:07 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

You are awesome and I suck. I am so impressed that you have been able to keep up with your training and are going to FINISH the half marathon this weekend! I'll be rooting you on from out here in frigid Chicago. We WILL run another race together soon!
xo
A

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home